Out-Of-State Judgment Lawyer

Enforcing Out-Of-State Judgments in California

debt-collection-chessA judgment entered in any state can be enforced in Orange County or anywhere in California.  In other words, the creditor can use an out-of-state judgment to collect from the debtor’s assets located in California, in exactly the same manner as a judgment originally entered in California.  For example, suppose the creditor obtained judgment in New York and the debtor owns real property in California.  By complying with the Sister State Money-Judgments Act, the creditor can turn the New York judgment into a California judgment, then pursue the debtor’s real property in California.


Need Help Collecting an Out-Of-State Judgment in California?

Our firm can quickly turn an out-of-state judgment into a California judgment.  We can then utilize California’s judgment collection tools to collect from the debtor.  Please contact us at (949) 203-3870 to discuss your judgment.  We are always willing to provide a complimentary collection analysis.

The Wallin Firm is dedicated to collecting large debts from businesses and individuals in Orange County and throughout California.  We understand that collecting is extremely important to our clients, and we take our responsibility very seriously.  Please contact us for a complimentary analysis of your judgment and collection options.


How to Collect Out-Of-State Judgments in California

  1. The first step is to file an application in Superior Court (see below for link to form).
  2. The application should be filed in the county where the judgment debtor resides or, if the debtor lives outside of California, in any county.  See Code of Civil Procedure § 1710.20(b).
  3. The Superior Court will then enter a California judgment identical to the out-of-state judgment.
  4. Upon receipt of the California judgment, the creditor must then personally serve the debtor with the judgment, in the same manner as summons are served in California.  See Code of Civil Procedure § 1710.30(a).
  5. After the judgment has been personally served, the creditor must wait 30 days before taking collection/enforcement action.  In other words, the Superior Court will not issue a writ of execution until 30 days after the California judgment has been entered.  See Code of Civil Procedure § 1710.35.


Contact The Wallin Firm for a Judgment Review

Regardless of the state in which the original judgment was entered, if the debtor owns assets within California, the creditor should immediately “domesticate” the judgment in California.  We can accomplish this quickly, then move forward with collecting from the debtor’s assets in California.  Please contact us at (949) 203-3870 to begin the process.


References & Helpful Links:

  • Collection Analysis
  • Complete for a Judgment Collection Analysis